Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Factory Aprilia Darryl Atkins Announces Retirement

Factory Aprilia Darryl Atkins Announces

Retirement from AMA Supermoto

I have decided to retire from AMA Supermoto, to move forward with the more pivotal aspects of my life. I am thankful for all of the success and fulfillment I have had throughout my career as a racer / team owner, and am truly grateful to have the opportunity to focus more intently on my various alternative business ventures.

Supermoto is a great sport, and I’ve given it an enormous portion of my soul over the past 5 years. 4 AMA National Championship wins, twice being Vice Champion, and having been awarded 2007 Team Champion have all been outstanding achievements for myself and my team. Unfortunately, at this point some controversial political circumstances within the sport have caused me to lose interest in continuing with AMA Supermoto.

The current global economic condition, and the new focus from Aprilia USA on the AMA Roadracing series are additional reasons to withdraw my Factory Aprilia Rip It Race Team from AMA Supermoto. I will redirect my attention, and existing relationships to the more flourishing areas of my life, and this industry. If given the chance you may see the Team back for the X-Games.

Currently, I am in negotiation with Factory Aprilia for Ben Carlson to compete in the S2 World Supermoto Championship. If everything comes together and goes smoothly, Ben could quite possibly become America 's first Supermoto World Champion. All my best to the Carlson family in this exciting new endeavor.

I have built great relationships within the sport, and it is not easy for me to say goodbye. With that being said, I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone involved. All of the Factory Aprilia Rip It sponsors, along with the talented group of guys whom I’ve had the pleasure of working with over the past 5 years. Most importantly, the greatest blessing I have ever been given, my beautiful, supportive and understanding wife Heather.

Factory Aprilia Rip It 2008 Team Sponsors: Aprilia USA, Rip It Energy Fuel, Parts Unlimited, Bel-Ray Oils, Dunlop Tires, Global Freight Solutions, AF1 Racing, Supermoto Engineering, Race Tech, FA-BA Wheels, Ice Parts, Silmoto, Sunoco Racing Fuels, Beringer Brakes, Scott Goggles, Thor, Alpinestars, Renthal, Asterisk, Works Connection, Twin Air, Supersprox, Suzuka Tire Warmers, Regina Chains, Ogio Bags, Mechanix Wear, ZLT, Pit Bull, G2, CR&A Customs, Acerbis, Tecbolt, Stomp Grip, AP Designs, Power Commander, Dyno Jet, Cycle Cynch.

Special Thanks to Factory Aprilia Rip it 2008 Team & Crew: Ben Carlson (2007 AMA Unlimited Supermoto Champion), Amauri Nunes, Chuck McCarty, John Weiss, Steve Mora, John Papola, Ed Cook and Robert Pandya for the fantastic job. I'd also like to extend a special thanks to Mike Bell my personal trainer and Mitch Hansen, along with everyone at HMC KTM for their effort and support during my first two years on the AMA circuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment