Thursday, July 12, 2007

Ok, sumthin new......Brian Who ??

Anytime someone invites you to contribute to a site like this, its always a privilege for me, especially when it has to do with SM bikes..........So here I am .......I will be writing articles for this site, and before I do I thought it fitting to talk about myself a little bit so all can understand my background and what I'm about for future readings.....
Almost three years ago I got the urge on my 43rd birthday to buy a motorcycle .... Hmmmm my first bike...what to buy ??? so much to choose from...until I saw a MZ Baghira SM street bike... that's it !...gotta have it ! So I bought her....cool bike...got it lowered and re-jetted with a big gnarly M-4 exhaust system and I was straight.....First night I had the bike I was getting used to riding a motorcycle.....came down the back roads of my neighborhood and got on the main drag and continued down till I saw a red light and down shifted eventually grabbing front brake and getting tossed over the handle bars right in the middle of a busy intersection....Holy Shit !!!, what the hell happened ???.. after a friend came to get me and my brand new bike and trucked us back home I learned that the gent that put my bike together didn't tighten my front caliper, so it spun and locked up... So the dealership made good and I got the bike back after a week.
Rode the bike for 3 months after the initial crash and had huge fun.... A friend directed me onto a SM site (which I presently moderate) and met a couple local guys who invited me to watch a race...so I showed up and watched fast guys back it in goin into turn one...It was so awesome to me I couldn't stop thinking about SM racing.... Talked to a buddy who raced for 100 years and told him I wanna race SM bikes....he looked at me like I was nuts...so he picked out a race bike for me to buy... a 1998 KX 500 for 1800 ....we went to test ride the bike, well he did, as he has a MX 500 himself...I ended up buying the bike and converting it over in my garage to a full on SM racer.......I started racing on Kart tracks, MX tracks, Trail riding and one of my favorites was short track on rain tires.....Finally realized that the KX was really a light switch and was told in order to get faster I needed a 4 stroke. So I bought a new 550 Husaberg factory SM race bike....after that I decided that a 2006 KTM SX -F250 would be a great bike to add to the stable as I really need to learn MX , Flat track as well trail riding, I felt that riding on all different types of surfaces would help my game......So now I race 250 class, Vet Class and Open bore...... wished I never sold the KX 500, funnest bike I have ever rode...love that power.....
So without being too lengthy tooo late...!) I now presently race in Oregon and Washington State, and will be going to the last bigboy race in Cali as I qualified for nasmoto ....
I have a lot to learn.......but I'll say one thing....SM racing on a fast big bore is almost like.... Hmmmm , well ok , you get the Idea......My goal is to race until they put a diaper on me...or I start eating 50 Advil's a day and sit in the hot tub drinkun scotches..lol...Juuust kiddin ...
I accepted the invitation to this site to help give back what other sites gave me...INFORMATION....and lots of it......I have a lot of fun experiences to write about and look forward to sharing some of my tales.......as well some of my mistakes..so we all can have a laugh and help grow the sport in which we all adore.....
My motto is: We are here for a good time not a long time and the older we all get the truer that statement becomes....and finally, I can't even begin to tell you how many friends I have made since I started......SM folks are very cool......
Stay hard on the gas and be safe ..... catcha soon !!

Later, Brian #30

No comments:

Post a Comment